This creamy whipped feta dip recipe, topped off with blistered roasted tomatoes & garlic is amazing. Just one bite and you won’t be able to stop devouring it. A perfect appetizer or side dish for any gathering. This recipe is so easy to follow and only requires a few basic ingredients. Whether you’re entertaining friends or family, looking for an easy weeknight side dish, or simply craving something delicious and savory, whipped cheese dip is sure to satisfy all your cravings. And with just a few simple ingredients and easy instructions, this tasty feta whip is the perfect choice for any occasion.
Table of Contents
Why we love this recipe
- Creamy and tangy flavor: Feta whip has a creamy, tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of roasted cherry tomatoes. The combination of flavors is both refreshing and satisfying.
- It’s versatile: This dip can be served as an appetizer or as a side dish. It can be served with pita bread, crackers, or vegetables for dipping. It would also be a great addition to a charcuterie board.
- Super easy to make: This dish is simple to make and requires minimal ingredients. Most of the time is spent waiting for those juicy tomatoes to finish roasting!
- It’s healthy: Feta is a good source of calcium and protein, while cherry tomatoes are high in vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Perfect for entertaining: If you’re hosting a party or gathering, this appetizer will be your new go to. It’s easy to make in advance and served cold, so you don’t have to worry about keeping it warm.
Ingredients needed for whipped feta dip with roasted cherry tomatoes
Feta Cheese – We prefer to use a block of sheep’s milk feta. You can also use crumbles but please note these are a bit dry and won’t whip as creamy as a block.
Cream Cheese – Softened at room temperature.
Greek Yogurt – We use the full fat variety. You can also use sour cream.
Cherry Tomatoes – Use your favorite variety or what’s in season.
Fresh Garlic Cloves – You can also use jarred garlic or garlic paste if that’s all you have on hand.
Lemon – We’ll be using both the lemon zest and lemon juice.
Fresh Dill – For garnish. You can get creative here. See below for topping variations and ideas.
Cayenne Pepper – For a bit of spice. Optional.
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – Use the best quality you can afford. It’ll be worth it! Not only for taste but also for the health benefits.
Kosher Salt and Ground Black Pepper – To taste.
How to Roast the Cherry Tomatoes and Garlic
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Next, toss the cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Place in a prepared baking sheet and bake until the tomatoes begin to burst, about 25-30 minutes. Let cool while making the feta.
Add feta, cream cheese and yogurt to food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Add lemon juice, olive oil, lemon zest, cayenne pepper and fresh dill to the creamy mixture. Blending until well incorporated. If the mixture seems dry add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Blend again.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon whipped spread into a serving dish and top with roasted cherry tomatoes and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with fresh dill. Serve with crackers, crusty bread, homemade pita chips, homemade pretzels or fresh veggies.
Tips for Success
Use a food processor: A food processor is the best tool for achieving a smooth and creamy texture. A blender can also be used, but it may require more scraping down of the sides.
Season well: Feta is naturally salty, but it’s still important to season the dip to taste.
Chill before serving: Letting it chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving will help to enhance the flavors and create a firmer texture.
Substitutions & Variations
There are so many topping ideas and variations you can try with this whipped cheese dip recipe! Experiment with different toppings and flavors to create your own favorite combination. Here are a few suggestions:
Fresh herbs: In addition to dill, you can try using other fresh herbs such as parsley, basil, chives, or mint. Finely chop the herbs and sprinkle them over the dip before serving.
Spices: Add some extra flavor by sprinkling some paprika, cumin, or za’atar on top.
Nuts: Chopped nuts such as pistachios, almonds, or walnuts can add a nice crunch. Toast the nuts lightly in a pan for extra flavor.
Roasted vegetables: Roasted red peppers, eggplant, or zucchini can add extra flavor.
Olives: Chopped olives, such as kalamata or green olives, can add a salty and tangy flavor.
Caramelized onions: Cook thinly sliced onions in a pan with some olive oil until they are caramelized and sweet. Add as a topping or folded into your dip.
Honey: A drizzle of honey can add a touch of sweetness and balance out the saltiness of the feta. Go crazy and use hot honey!
Roasted garlic: Roasted garlic can add a sweet and nutty flavor to your dip. Mash the garlic cloves into a paste and mix them into the whipped feta, or add them as a topping.
Tips for Storing Whipped Feta Dip
To store, simply transfer it to an airtight container or zip-top bag and refrigerate until ready to serve. You can also cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the mixture to mini tart shells for single-serving portions. This tasty dip will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days, making it an ideal choice for quick and easy entertaining.
Whipped Feta Dip FAQs
What is whipped feta dip?
Whipped feta dip is a creamy and tangy dip made from feta cheese that has been whipped or blended with cream cheese, Greek yogurt, or other ingredients to create a smooth and spreadable texture.
How long does whipped feta dip last in the fridge?
This creamy feta dip can last up to five days in the fridge when stored properly in an airtight container. The texture may become slightly firmer after a day or two, so you may need to let it come to room temperature and give it a quick stir before serving again.
Can whipped feta dip be frozen?
Yes, it can but the texture may become slightly grainy after thawing. It is best to freeze the dip in small portions and thaw only what you need. You may also need to give the dip a quick blend or stir after thawing to restore its smooth texture.
Is whipped feta dip healthy?
Whipped feta dip can be a healthier alternative to other dips. Feta is also a good source of protein and calcium, and the dip can be served with vegetables or whole-grain crackers for added nutrition.
Can I use a different type of cheese for whipped dip?
Yep! You can use different types of cheese for your whipped dip, such as goat cheese or ricotta cheese. Please note, the texture and flavor will vary depending on the type ou use.
Can whipped feta dip be made ahead of time?
Absolutely! This dip can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until ready to serve.
How can I make this whipped feta dip recipe vegan?
To make whipped feta dip vegan, replace the feta with a vegan feta alternative, such as tofu feta or almond feta. You can also use vegan cream cheese and yogurt.
In addition to being super tasty, this creamy dip with roasted cherry tomatoes also makes a great appetizer because it is easy to make and can be customized in a variety of ways. This recipe is so easy and delicious, it will be hard to resist! It’s the perfect appetizer or side dish for your next gathering. By following this recipe, you’ll have a unique and flavorful dip that will wow your guests.
Looking for more simple dips?
Easy Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
Whipped Feta Dip
- 8 ounces feta block, cubed
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, full fat
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1-2 tbsp water, if needed
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 tsp fresh dill, less if using dried dill
- kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Roast the Tomatoes
- Toss the cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Place in a prepared baking sheet and bake until the tomatoes begin to burst, about 25-30 minutes. Let cool while making the feta dip.
Make the Feta Dip
- Add feta cheese, cream cheese and yogurt to food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, lemon zest, cayenne pepper and fresh dill to the creamy mixture. Blending until well incorporated. If the mixture seems dry add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Blend again.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon whipped dip into a serving dish and top with roasted cherry tomatoes and garlic.
- Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with fresh dill. Serve with crackers, crusty bread, pita chips or fresh veggies.